Breakfast is the most important meal of the day! That’s what we’ve been told at least. And while there is an ongoing debate on the importance of breakfast, we think starting your day with a healthy meal is a good idea. It gives you energy to begin your day, gets your metabolism going, and can keep you from crashing mid-morning. WHAT we are eating for breakfast makes all of the difference, though. It is important to get a good amount of protein and healthy fats in the morning. This will help keep you full until lunch and even helps regulate your blood sugar throughout the day.
These veggie egg muffins are an excellent way to get a lot of protein in the morning and even a serving of vegetables! They are easy to make and can be reheated in the microwave for a quick breakfast on busy mornings. You can also make them using whatever veggies you have on hand!
What you need:
– 5 whole eggs
– 5 egg whites
– 1 red bell pepper, chopped
– 1 yellow onion, chopped
– 2 cups fresh spinach, chopped
– 2 cloves garlic, minced
– 1 tablespoon olive, coconut, or avocado oil
– salt and pepper to taste
What you do:
- Whisk eggs together in a large bowl or measuring cup (the spout on a measuring cup will make pouring easier).
- Sauté bell pepper and onion in oil until tender (about 5 minutes).
- Add spinach and sauté 2 minutes.
- Add garlic and sauté an additional minute.
- Add veggies to eggs and combine.
- Pour mixture, evenly, into a greased, 12 cup muffin tin.
- Bake at 350° for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Serve immediately or refrigerate and enjoy later!