Eat spaghetti squash, not pasta!
Do you love Italian food and a big bowl of pasta, but hate the bloated and heavy feeling that immediately kicks in afterwards? We have the perfect solution for you!
Try substituting your favorite pasta or spaghetti with spaghetti squash instead! The texture is almost identical to normal spaghetti, but without all of the negative effects of eating a heavy pasta dish full of carbohydrates.
|100 Grams of:||Spaghetti squash||Pasta|
|Carbohydrates:||7 g (2% of Daily Value)||75 g (25% of Daily Value)|
|Vitamin A:||120 IU||0 IU|
Try this delicious and healthy recipe for chicken parmesan with spaghetti squash instead of regular pasta!
- 1 large spaghetti squash
- 1 lb thin sliced chicken breast, cut into strips
- Italian seasoning
- 4 cups marinara sauce
- 8 oz fresh mozzarella
- Grated Parmesan Cheese
- Coconut Oil for sautéing chicken
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- With a sharp knife, slice the squash in half. If the squash is too tough – puncture in several places forming a dotted line around the squash. Microwave for 3-5 minutes to soften. Allow to cool before cutting in half – following the dotted line.
- Scoop out the seeds – brush with oil, salt, and pepper, – and roast face down in a preheated oven for 35-40 minutes, until a fork can easily pierce the skin.
- Meanwhile, slice the chicken breasts into strips. Note, for this recipe we will be sautéing the chicken, not frying.
- Sautee the chicken strips in a pan using coconut oil and Italian seasoning. Cook completely through until there is no pink in the middle of the chicken strips. Set cooked chicken aside on a plate while you prepare the squash.
- Once the squash is out of the oven, let cool for about 10 mins. Flip over and shred the inside of each squash so that the spaghetti strands are loosened. Be careful not to poke a hole in the skin of the squash. It is your choice whether you want to keep the spaghetti squash in the skin, or shred and scoop it out onto a plate or into a large bowl.
- If keeping the squash in the skin, pour 1/2 cup marinara sauce over shredded squash in each half of the squash. Top with chicken strips, then 1/2 cup more marinara, and finish with mozzarella and parmesan cheese, and a pinch of Italian seasoning. Return to the oven to bake for 10-15 minutes until the cheese has melted.