We’ve been hearing more and more lately that consuming animal products like meat and dairy isn’t great for our health. While there isn’t conclusive evidence on how much animal protein, if any, we should be eating, we all know plants and vegetables are good and nutritious for us and that we should be eating more. Many health professionals have touted a plant-based diet for its benefits and suggest decreasing the intake of eggs, dairy, and meat. However, it’s not always easy to radically change our diets. Switching out the meat a couple times a week with other types of protein is a great way to get the benefits of a plant-based diet without a complete overhaul. This recipe is vegan and contains no animal products at all. BUT, it is packed with protein, fiber, and other nutrients and it is delicious!
What you need:
- 3-4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 1 poblano pepper, chopped
- 2 jalapenos, chopped finely
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 cans black beans
- 2 cups spinach
- 1 pack of tortillas (I used Trader Joe’s Habanero Lime tortillas!)
- 1 28 oz. can of red enchilada sauce
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro
- Salt, pepper, and cayenne pepper
What you do:
- Saute onion in oil for 2-3 minutes.
- Add peppers and saute 3-4 minutes.
- Add garlic, black beans, spinach, and spices (severally good shakes of salt and pepper and a dash of cayenne should be good) and cook, stirring frequently, until spinach is wilted.
- Coat the bottom of a large glass baking dish with a thin layer of enchilada sauce.
- Fill tortillas with bean mixture, fold, and put in the baking dish.
- Pour remaining sauce over tortillas.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes
- Top with cilantro.
- Serve with a side salad and enjoy!